Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Close my eyes and leap........

If I could close my eyes and be anywhere other than where I live, it would have to be in Rossburg Ohio at Eldora. Tonight is the Prelude to the Dream race. I was at Eldora for a race 2 summers ago and I have to say it's a beautiful beautiful track. It's well taken care of and it's a wonderful track full of history. When I saw the Eldora track I stood one a bleacher, called my mom in tears and said, "Guess where I'm at? I'm at Eldora and in a few hours we'll be back to watch the race" My mom being the same die-hard NASCAR fan that I am thought it was great that I got to see Eldora. My dad and I were told that we missed meeting Tony Stewart by a day that was a bummer but still, this is one memory of a thousand that I will treasure forever. My dad and I take camping trips every summer. I'm now 26 years old and yes, I'm a daddy's girl. We take a big camping trip every year and this memory of seeing Eldora and seeing a race there is one of the best memories I will have of camping with my dad.
If I close my eyes I can remember every detail of that day. What I wore, what my dad wore. I of course wore my favorite Dale Jr t-shirt. Dad wore his BMW motorcycle shirt, it was a warm July day and the sky was so blue with just a few fluffy clouds in the sky.

My dad is a great guy who really encourages my NASCAR obsession. Well he doesn't do anything to hinder it LOL :) While camping in Pennsylvania he drove past the Poccono Track in a thunderstorm just so I could see it. He also on that same trip drove through Indianapolis just so I could see the Brickyard and take pictures of the hallowed racing place. It's great and since it's nearing Father's Day and the race at Eldora tonight I thought I'd share a special father/daughter moment that we had. My dad worked on dirt cars when he was in the Air Force. One of his buddies he had met through a couple guys that were on the base with him raced and so my dad and a couple of the guys would work on the pit crew over the weeknds if they were available to. So I guess I get my love of dirt racing and racing in general naturally. :)



And just to prove that my dad really thinks like me... He told me to go stand by the Coke machine with Tony's picture on it. I don't have a copy of that picture my dad has it but it was a fun day :) A little insight into my mind... I posed with the Matt Kenseth cut-out at Arby's two weeks ago LOL :) So when my dad said "hey Nik, go stand by the pop machine." I had no problem doing that! :)

No comments: