Sunday, April 22, 2007

Very nice!

Now I'm not a Jeff Gordon fan by any stretch of the imagination but when he won the Phoenix race Saturday night he tied the record of wins set by the Late Great Dale Earnhardt. When the race was over and Jeff had won he took a victory lap around P.I.R. with a 3 flag. To me that was cool as hell. He was paying respect to a man who had a lot of influence on him as a driver and a person. I didn't get to see the race but I was sitting in the Karaoke Bar Saturday night watching highlights on ESPN. I'm woman enough to admit this that in the middle of the karaoke
bar I got teary eyed seeing Jeff drive around the track with that 3 flag. It was awesome. But perhaps the coolest event of the night came when Dale Junior went to Victory Lane to congratulate Jeff on winning the race. Not only did Jeff tie Big E's 76 win record, but it was also the very first time Jeff has won at Phoenix. To me that's hard to fathom that a guy with a record like Jeff's hasn't won at a few race tracks still. I really liked what Jeff Gordon said in an interview with NASCAR.Com

It means the world," Gordon said. "Holding that 3 flag, it's certainly by no means saying we're as good as him. I learned so much from him. We wanted to honor him. We've been holding on to that flag for a long time."

One of the first drivers to congratulate Gordon in Victory Lane was Dale Earnhardt Jr

"That means the world to me because I didn't want to come across the wrong way," Gordon said. "We wanted to show tribute and honor."


Now while I still may not be Jeff's biggest fan he did manage to really look good in this Earnhardt fan's eyes :)





Images came from Autostock.com
and Yahoosports.com

No comments: